Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bumper Protection
13-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Bumper Protection
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm having trouble identifying a way of protecting my car bumper from the caravan hitch. The tow bar fitted by Honda to my Civic is a 'swan neck' and the coupler/stabiliser is an Al-Ko AKS 1300. Any thoughts anybody?
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2012, 10:10 PM
RE: Bumper Protection
I have the same problem with a swan neck tow ball on the car. Even with a caravan mover fitted you have to be carefull when un-hitching as tab caravan can move forwards. Old car had a s/s plate fitted to the tow hitch behind the tow ball. Never seen anything for a swan neck setup.

Regards Rich
Find all posts by this user
13-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Ah! I've been searching all day - seems the two components just don't marry in this respect; I'm a wee bit surprised that Al-Ko doesn't seem to have a solution - their soft dock doesn't fit the AKS 1300 - I've messaged them, so it'll be interesting to see what they say. Maybe I'll just have to improvise...
13-09-2012, 10:23 PM
There are some self adhesive ones that stick onto the actual bumper to protect the paint. I have come across a website where there was a suggestion to make a ply protector that hooks over the swan neck while hitching and then gets taken off for when used on the road. Another way of overcoming the issue of reversing into the hitch when coupling up is to fit a mirror in a position so you can actually see the ball........unless you are lucky enough to have a car with reversing camera. Many caravanners have stopped reversing to the hitch now though because they have motor movers fitted. A bit OTT if you have a 320 though.

Gordon
Find all posts by this user
13-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Well, oddly enough, now you come to mention it, by coincidence, the car does have a reversing camera! Didn't think aboot that! That'll help a great deal, but I think I might also try a temporary pad arrangement too.
Thanks, and goodnight - bedtime for me!

Robbie